Following the Battle of Chaegunghyon (also known as the Battle of Happy Valley) in Korea on 3rd and 4th January 1951, 208 officers and men of the Royal Ulster Rifles (RUR) were reported killed wounded or missing. When the RUR were able to return to the valley they buried the dead and erected the memorial near the village of Pulmiji-Ri overlooking the battlefield. The memorial was of local stone, carved by a Korean mason who travelled with the Padre of the battalion. One face of the Memorial is dedicated to the Rifles, one to the gunners of 45 Field Regiment RA and 170 Mortar Battery RA and one to the 8th Kings Royal Irish Hussars. In 1960 it was recommended that the memorial be repatriated to the UK. It was re-erected at St Patrick's barracks and remained there until the closure of the barracks. It was relocated to the grounds of Belfast City Hall in 2008.
PHOTOCOPIES OF TWO OTHER POSSIBLE MEMORIALS ARE ENCLOSED IN THIS FILE; A CLOCK AND A WALL WITH THE CREST OF THE ROYAL INNISKILLING FUSIERS, ROYAL ULSTER RIFLES AND ROYAL IRISH FUSILIERS. HOWEVER, NO DETAILS ENCLOSED. ALSO, A GUN BARREL WITH PLAQUE.