United Kingdom National Inventory of War Memorials
 The Imperial War Museum

Wykehamists - WW1 and WW2

Our Ref: 22015

<< Back to search results

Address

Winchester College
College St
Winchester
HAMPSHIRE
England
SO23 9NA
 
Type:Composite
Other Location Details:

War Cloister

OS Map Ref:SU 482 288

Inscription

(In a continuous band round cloister:) THANKS BE TO GOD FOR THE SERVICE OF THESE FIVE HUNDRED WYKEHAMISTS, WHO WERE FOUND FAITHFUL UNTO DEATH AMID THE MANIFOLD CHANCES OF THE GREAT WAR. IN THE DAY OF BATTLE THEY FORGAT (sic) NOT GOD, WHO CREATED THEM TO DO HIS WILL, NOR THEIR COUNTRY, THE STRONGHOLD OF FREEDOM, NOR THEIR SCHOOL, THE MOTHER OF GODLINESS AND DISCIPLINE. STRONG IN THIS THREEFOLD FAITH THEY WENT FORTH FROM HOME AND KINDRED TO THE BATTLEFIELDS OF THE WORLD AND, TREADING THE PATH OF DUTY AND SACRIFICE, LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES FOR MANKIND. THOU, THEREFORE, FOR WHOM THEY DIED, SEEK NOT THINE OWN, BUT SERVE AS THEY SERVED, AND IN PEACE OR IN WAR BEAR THYSELF EVER AS CHRIST'S SOLDIER, GENTLE IN ALL THINGS, VALIANT IN ACTION, STEADFAST IN ADVERSITY.

Tablet two ( WW2 dedication): VIA HAEC/ IAMPRIDEM MEMORIAE/ WICCAMICORUM SACRA/ QUI PRO PATRIA/ DIMICANTES OCCUBERUNT/ ITERUM SACRATA EST/ AD XVIII KAL DEC MCMXLVIII/ EORUM ADIECTIS NOMINIBUS/ QUI EADEM SEQUENTES SIGNA/ BELLO PERIERUNT ALTERO/ SUPPLICAVIT/ MERVYN EPISCOPUS WINTON/ CONTIONATUS EST/ ARCHIBALD COMES WAVELL

Tablet three:HERE/ IN EQUAL HONOUR/ FACING THE NAMES OF THE FALLEN IN THE/ FIRST WORLD WAR/ ARE INSCRIBED/ THOSE OF THE TWO/ HUNDRED & SEVENTY/ WYKEHAMISTS/ WHO DIED SERVING/ IN THE SAME FAITH/ 1939 - 1945/ If our time be come/ let us die/ manfully for our brethren/ and let us/ not stain our honour.

Tablet four (Foundation stone): LAPIDEM IN(?) CLAUSTRO AD(?) FULCIENDAM CRUCEM/ POSITUM CUM SUPPLICATIONE ET CONCENTO MULI:/ :TORUM CONTIONATO EDWARDO VICECOMITE/ GREY DE FALLODON: ID: QUINCT: A.D. MCMXXII/ DEDICAVIT GULIELMUS ANDREWES FEARON:/ S:T:P: COLLEGII HUIUSCE OLIM INFORMATOR

Tablet five (WW1 Dedication): VIAM SACRAM PRID:KAL:IUN: MCMXXIV PATE-/ -FECIT PRINCEPS HONORATISSIMUS PATRUUS REGIS/ ARTURUS DUX DE CONNAUGHT: DEDICAVIT/ EDWARDUS TALBOT S:T:P: EPISCOPUS WINTON: EMERITUS: COLLAUDAVIT EDWARDUS VICECOMES/ GREY DE FALLODON: A CELEBERRIMO WICCAMICORUM/ CONVENT REDDITAE SUNT DEO GRATES

WW1 names: Each group of six tablets is headed CAME TO WINCHESTER, followed by the year and names, commencing in 1868. The penultimate panel, ending in 1913, continues with DIED SINCE THE WAR in italics, followed by five names.

The last tablet is headed ASSISTANT MASTER, followed by one name, and then QUIRISTERS, followed by six names. (Quiristers are choirboys of Winchester College).

WW2 names: The tablets are headed with years only, starting with 1913, and followed by names. On the last tablet, the last year, 1938, is followed by ASSISTANT MASTER (one name) QUIRISTERS (Three names) and REPORTED SINCE THE WAR (Six names)

Craftsmen's stone built into wall in north-east corner of cloister: IN AEDIFICIO COMMUNITER LABORAVERUNT ARCHITECTUS, HERBERTUS BAKER: SCULPTORES, ALFREDUS TURNER, CAROLUS WHEELER: SIGNORUM INVENTOR, KRUGER GRAY: ARTIFEX AC PICTOR, LAURENTIUS TURNER: AEDIFICATOR, HENRICUS HOLLOWAY: MAGISTER OPERUM, ALBERTUS CLARKE.
NON SIBI SED DEO ET MORTUIS (Trans: Not for thee, but for God and the Dead). (Line breaks unknown)

Components

ComponentMaterial(s)HeightWidthDepthCondition
ROOFWOOD - OAK   Good
CROSSSTONE - PORTLAND   Good
TabletsSTONE - HOPTON WOOD   Good
GARDENN/A   Good

Physical Description

CLOISTER OF PORTLAND STONE WITH COLUMNS AND TABLETS OF HOPTON WOOD MARBLE. ROOF OF OAK WITH COTSWOLD STONE SHINGLES. AT EACH CORNER OF THE CLOISTER THE COLUMNS MEET IN DOMED TEMPLES EACH CONTAINING A HUGE CIRCULAR PAVING SLAB; GRANITE FROM THE BASE OF TABLE MOUNTAIN IN SOUTH AFRICA, SYENITE FROM NEW SOUTH WALES, AUSTRALIA, MARBLE FROM BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA AND BLACK MARBLE FROM INDIA. WITHIN THE CLOISTER IS A GARDEN OF REMEMBRANCE WITH A CENTRAL MEMORIAL WHEEL CROSS. CROSS SURMOUNTS OCTAGONAL STONE COLUMN WHICH IN TURN STANDS ATOP AN OCTAGONAL PLINTH. THREE-STEPPED STONE BASE.
Tablets embedded in the wall either side of an arch with Latin inscriptions commemorating the laying of the foundation stone and the opening of the War Cloister.

ROUND THE GARTH IN SPACES BETWEEN THE ARCHES ARE ARMS AND BADGES OF 120 units, in which Old Wykehamists served in WW1. On the oak struts of the roof over the arches, are badges of four regiments closely associated with Winchester, supported by figures of angels. The regiments are: The Rifle Brigade, King's Royal Rifle Corps, The Hampshire Regt and the Royal Artillery.
Sixteen WW1 name tablets in pairs are headed by the year in which the fallen came to Winchester, and are divided by tablets with the names of battles or campaigns, which are headed: ON THE SEAS; FRANCE FLANDERS (four panels); GALLIPOLI/ MACEDONIA/ ITALY/ MURMAN/ ARCHANGEL (one panel); EGYPT/ PALESTINE/ MESOPOTAMIA (one panel); TSING-TAU/ SIBERIA/ N.W.FRONTIER INDIA/ BALUCHISTAN/ PERSIA/ ADEN/ E.AFRICA/ S.W.AFRICA/ CAMEROONS (one panel). These are all on the inside walls, and the WW2 names are on twelve tablets on the outer walls.

Wars Commemorated & People Remembered

WarFirst World War (1914-1918)
Total names on memorial:500
Served & Returned0
Died500
Is this an exact count?No, an estimate
Other relevant InformationDetails of name list not known/partially known
How are the names ordered?additional > surname > rank
What information is listed on the memorial? surname, rank, regiment, place of death, forename, additional
Do we hold a list of names on the memorial?Yes
WarSecond World War (1939-1945)
Total names on memorial:270
Served & Returned0
Died270
Is this an exact count?No, an estimate
Other relevant InformationDetails of name list not known/partially known
How are the names ordered?additional > surname
What information is listed on the memorial? surname, rank, regiment, place of death, forename, additional, decorations
Do we hold a list of names on the memorial?Yes
WarVC or GC Winners
Total names on memorial:0
Served & Returned0
Died3
Is this an exact count?Not known
How are the names ordered?Not known
What information is listed on the memorial?None
Do we hold a list of names on the memorial?No

Maintenance

Are the letters difficult to read?No
Who is responsible for the memorial?

WINCHESTER COLLEGE

Maintenance History:

24 March 1950:Listed Grade II (ID 144541)

Ceremonies

Date:15 July 1922
RolePerformed By
Foundation Stone UNKNOWN
Dedicated Local Clergy/Dignitaries
Date:31 May 1924
RolePerformed By
Dedicated Local Clergy/Dignitaries
OpenedFM HRH Prince Arthur Duke of Connaught
Date:14 November 1948
RolePerformed By
RededicatedBishop of Winchester

Sponsorships

Sponsorship Type:None
Did this include a trust or scholarship?Yes
If so, for what purpose?

Grants for families of the fallen.

Did this include a roll of honour?NOT APPLICABLE
Cost of Site:Not known
Cost of Memorial:£65,000
Comments on Costs:

The original plan had been also to build a Hall, but inflation prevented this.

Craftsmen

NameOccupation
SIR HERBERT BAKERArchitect
Gertrude JekyllDesigner
Alfred TurnerSculptor
Charles WheelerSculptor
George Kruger GrayDesigner
Holloway BrosBuilder

References

Co-ordinator's Comments:

VC Winners were: Lt Col C H M Doughty-Wylie; 2Lt D G W Hewitt; Capt A F G Kilby.
'The Wykehamist' Nos 625, 626 (1922), 648 and Supplement (16 June 1924)
J d'E Firth: Winchester College (Winchester: P and G Wells Ltd, 1967) pp. 221-229; 240-241.

Comments: 
Photographs:85
Other Documents:Listing description. WW2 names list, extracted from 'Wykehamist War Service Record and Roll of Honour' (Winchester: P and G Wells Ltd, 1947)
Form / Letter:O
Negatives:Yes
Drawings / Plans:Yes
Minutes:No
Postcards:1
Publication NameAuthorDate PublishedPage / DateOther Information
AT THE GOING DOWN OF THE SUN: BRITISH FIRST WORLD WAR MEMORIALSBOORMAN, DEREK1988p.14 
BRITISH PUBLIC SCHOOLS WAR MEMORIALSKERNOT, C F1927pp. 80-83 
Buildings of England seriesVarious 'Hampshire: Winchester and the North' (2010) pp.653-654. 
The Times  17 July 1922 p.16Dedication of the foundation stone by the Rev. Dr W A Fearon, DD (1841-1924), Headmaster 1884-1901, in the presence of Lord Grey of Falloden, an old Wykehamist and former Foreign Secretary, who gave a speech.
The Times  30 May 1924 p.17'A Via Sacra: Winchester College War Memorial' Detailed description of the memorial.
The Times  2 June 1924 p.9Account of opening and dedication of War Cloister. The dedication was performed by Bishop Talbot (1844-1934), who had been Bishop of Winchester 1911-1923. Includes 'An Appreciation', by Lady Laura Ridding. Lady Laura (1849-1939) was a daughter of the 1st Earl of Selborne and widow of George Ridding (1828-1904), Headmaster of Winchester College 1867-1884, after which he became the first Bishop of Southwell. She helped to found the National Union of Women Workers in 1895, and has been described as a suffragist and philanthropist. Among her books was a biography of her nephew, Capt The Hon. R S A Palmer, died in Mesopotamia in 1916, which was published in 1921.
The Times  15 Nov. 1948 p.7Report of rededication of War Cloister, in the presence of FM Lord Wavell , an old Wykehamist, who gave an address. (A copy of the address is in the file.)
OrganisationIdWebsite
Carter Postcard Collection