United Kingdom National Inventory of War Memorials
 The Imperial War Museum

St Werburghs Church - WW1 Figure

Our Ref: 19014

<< Back to search results

Address

St Werburghs Church
Cheapside near junction with Friar Gate
Derby
DERBYSHIRE
England
DE1 1BR
 
Type:Sculptured/Cast Figure
Denomination:Church of England
Other Location Details:

On the West wall of the remains of the 1699 church.

OS Map Ref:SK 349 363

Inscription

REMEMBER 1914-1918/ (Names)/ BLESSED ARE THE PEACEMAKERS

Components

ComponentMaterial(s)HeightWidthDepthCondition
FIGUREBRONZEc670mmc350mmc300mmGood
PLAQUEMETALc820mmc480mmc150mmGood

Physical Description

A wall mounted cast bronze figure of Christ with his arms outstretched surmounting a plaque. The bow fronted plaque has a relief at the head with six wings surrounding a cherub's face and a Latin cross at the centre with names in raised upright lettering in two columns.

Wars Commemorated & People Remembered

WarFirst World War (1914-1918)
Total names on memorial:47
Served & Returned0
Died47
Is this an exact count?Yes, an exact count
How are the names ordered?surname
What information is listed on the memorial? surname
Do we hold a list of names on the memorial?Yes

Maintenance

Are the letters difficult to read?No
Who is responsible for the memorial?

The Churches Conservation Trust.

Maintenance History:

The church lies in the Friar Gate Conservation Area.

c1980: Moved to the 1699 part of the church when the nave was secularised.

20 June 1952: The church was listed Grade II*, Heritage List for England reference 1287685.

1921: Originally mounted on the first pillar of the nave, to the right of the main door.

Ceremonies

Date:18 February 1923
RolePerformed By
UnveilingMaj Gen Sir Arthur Reginald Hoskins

Sponsorships

Sponsorship Type:None
Did this include a trust or scholarship?No
Did this include a roll of honour?NOT APPLICABLE
Cost of Site:Not known
Cost of Memorial:Not known
Comments on Costs:

Craftsmen

NameOccupation
Mr Arthur G WalkerSculptor

References

Co-ordinator's Comments:

Much of the 1699 church was historically damaged by flooding and subsequently rebuilt. The remaining parts, which contain the memorials, are still consecrated and managed by the Churches Conservation Trust whilst the later parts have subsequently been secularised.

Comments: 
Photographs:3
Other Documents:None
Form / Letter:F
Negatives:No
Drawings / Plans:No
Minutes:No
Press Cuttings:3
Publication NameAuthorDate PublishedPage / DateOther Information
Derby Daily Telegraph  3/ 2 February 1923Description of memorial.
Derby Daily Telegraph  2/ 12 February 1923Report of imminent unveiling with description of memorial.
Derby Daily Telegraph  4/ 19 February 1923Report of unveiling with biographical name list.